Thursday, May 13, 2010

(a belated) Feliz Dia De La Madre!

I called my mom on Saturday to wish her a happy Mother's Day a day early, as I would be traveling to Guatemala on Sunday. I promised her that Colleen and I would dedicate a toast to her together from Guatemala. I think, for my mother, the call and this promise were great Mother's Day presents. She and my dad were on the road, anyway, - headed to their new life in Hawaii, so I had nowhere to send a card.

Mother's Day in Guatemala was on Monday - a day after my trip down. But on the first leg of my travels, a plane trip from DC to San Salvador on Sunday, well wishes were bestowed upon all the mothers on board in multiple ways. Announcements were made at the beginning and end of the plane trip. And towards the end, the captain read a poem aloud that he had written for his mother. Then, the flight attendants sang a song together, dedicated to mothers. Afterwards, another flight attendant played a guitar and lead the passengers in song. It was a song praising mothers that most people on board seemed to know.

Perhaps prompted by all the singing, the passenger next to me told me that he was heading home to northern Guatemala to surprise his mother for Mother's Day. "Que buen sorpresa!" I commented in response. Little did I know. Turns out, he hasn't seen his mom since he left for the States ---- in 1990! I suggested that, after 20 years of not seeing one another, perhaps he should call ahead . . .

The next leg of my trip was a flight from San Salvador to Guatemala City. The passenger next to me on that flight was also going home to surprise her mother. She had been back for a visit a little over a year ago, so perhaps the dramatic effect was a bit less than that of my first flight companion, but still . . .

Colleen and I toasted our mom later that afternoon, shortly after I met up with her and Shad in Panajachel. I last saw her in August, and although I've been to Guatemala before, this is my first visit since she and Shad moved here, almost 2 years ago. So, the reunion was very exciting and it seemed fitting to lift our drinks in a joint toast to our mom who was, I am sure, overjoyed to know we were thinking of here while enjoying some time together down here.

So, to my mother and all the mothers out there, a very happy (belated) Mother's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home